Fungal infections that appear on the skin are one of the most common infections in humans. Many people are curious about natural toenail fungus treatment, as this is an issue that many folks struggle with. Few are aware that toenail fungus symptoms can actually be a sign of candida virus or yeast within your system.
With dietary changes, supplements and certain essential oils, you can treat and eliminate the root cause of the toenail fungus, even when you’ve been struggling with it for years. I will take you through the exact steps of how to get rid of toenail fungus fast and for good.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus
Nail fungus (onychomycosis) is very common, with estimates showing that about 3 to 12 percent of the population suffers from fungal infections on their fingers or toes to some degree. Older people are more likely to have nail fungus than younger people, and people with compromised immune systems are even more susceptible.
Signs that you’ve developed toenail fungus include:
- Your nails becoming brittle or changing color, especially your big toe nail which is most likely to become infected — these are common symptoms of tinea unguium
- A whitish-yellowish or brownish discoloration developing of the front or sides of the nails
- Nails becoming soft, breaking easily or becoming thicker and changing shape
- Pain around the nails
- The nail detaching from the skin or nail bed
- White patches forming on the surface of the nail, either in large blotches or small dots that are spread out (called “white superficial onychomycosis”)
There are actually four types of onychomycosis or toenail fungus:
- Distal subungual onychomycosis — the most common type, representing 58–85 percent of all cases. It’s characterized by an easily crumbled nail, thick with discoloration and subungual hyperkeratosis (scaling under the nail).
- Proximal subungual onychomycosis — common in immunosuppressed patients, the nail plate becomes white near the cuticle.
- White superficial onychomycosis — the nail becomes white and may turn crumbly.
- Candidal onychomycosis — the nail plate actually separates from the nail bed.
What causes toenail fungus?
Well, essentially it’s an imbalance of bad bacteria to good bacteria in your body. Just like with other health conditions that stem from gut-related problems, when you don’t have enough good bacteria living within your gut, you wind up developing high levels of yeast and fungus (bad bacteria) in your body that can show up on your skin.
Besides poor gut health, other risk factors that can tip the scale in terms of an infection forming include:
- Having athlete’s foot
- Coming into contact with fungi, for example in nail salons, contaminated swimming pools, gyms and saunas
- Damaged nail beds
- Wearing dirty or tight shoes
- Skin conditions, such as psoriasis
- Circulation problems in the legs, from existing conditions like diabetes or artery disease
- A weakened immune system
- Genetic predisposition
Using essential oils for healthy toenails is nothing new. Some oils have been used for centuries to deal with a variety of health conditions, including hair and skin problems. More recently, people also want to know how to get rid of toenail fungus fast using the right essential oils.
What are the Benefits of Going Natural?
There are plenty of reasons that trying a natural essential oil treatment for nail fungus makes sense:
- Cheaper than expensive creams and washes
- No chemical additives
- No harmful potential side effects
- Leaves behind a pleasant scent instead of a chemical smell
- Can provide additional aromatherapy benefits along with improving nail health