Leg cramps — prevention and treatment
The treatment of leg cramps must start from the reason for leg cramps. Therefore, leg cramps result from dehydration, you need to hydrate your body properly.
This condition can be prevented and relieved in a number of ways, including:
- acupuncture, in order to relax muscles
- consume sufficient amounts of magnesium or potassium, as muscle cramps can be caused by mineral deficiency as well
- apply a heating pad on the affected parts
- before going to bed, stretch
- it is advisable to use horse chestnut since it enhances the blood flow in the body
- in order to relax the tense muscles, enjoy in a warm, soothing bath before sleeping
- do water exercises to build the muscles on the legs
- always try to wear comfortable shoes, and do not wear high heels often
What to do in the case of muscle cramps:
During the night, when you experience leg cramps, you feel like paralyzed, so you need to know what to do in order to aid yourself and relieve the pain as soon as possible.
These are some useful tips:
- get up from the bed and try to move the leg, shake it or walk a little bit, in order to stimulate the blood flow.
- take a tablespoon of yellow mustard
- you should massage the leg in circular motions
- always note that your sheets and blankets are not too tight, in order to prevent leg cramps
- stretch well- sit on the floor and put the legs in front of you. Then, flex your feet at the ankles and point the toes towards the knees. Pull your feet.