Whether the fungus presents itself as a toenail fungus, athlete’s foot, a yeast infection or something else, dealing with it is never fun. Product intended to deal with the fungus often come with side effects that are just as much a problem as the original infection. Fighting fungi is just plain frustrating!
To be able to fight fungus without having any negative side effects would be heavenly, wouldn’t it? Don’t despair! Below are 8 home remedies that actually work for fighting fungus without the side effects of over-the-counter medication.
1. Yogurt. The live bacteria in yogurt makes it ideal for fighting Candida, the cause of yeast infections, according to WebMD. If you are fighting a vaginal yeast infection, Top 10 Home Remedies recommends putting plain yogurt on a tampon and inserting it to fight the infection. Eat yogurt as well, fighting Candida from two different directions.
2. Tea tree oil. If what you are fighting is nail fungus, WebMD says that tea tree oil is one of the best things for getting rid of it. According to Livestrong.com, you want to clean the infected nail thoroughly and then apply the oil to the infected nail with a cotton swab or cotton ball while the nail is still moist. Apply the oil twice daily.
3. Garlic. Garlic is an amazing food, and WebMD says it has great antifungal properties for fighting all forms of fungi. If foot fungus is the problem, Livestrong.com says to apply a warm, moist compress to the infected foot, opening the pores on the skin. Then apply one clove of fresh, pressed garlic wrapped in a cotton gauze to the affected area. Replace the garlic every 3 to 5 hours. If you’re fighting yeast or even foot fungus, you can wage war by eating garlic. The Candida Diet recommends adding fresh garlic to your food when you cook. If that is a problem, you can also take garlic tablets or capsules.
4. Sunflower oil. WebMD says that Oleozon, a brand of sunflower oil, is great for fighting athlete’s foot. According to Healthline, to get rid of the fungus, just rub the oil into the affected area twice daily.
5. Apple cider vinegar. For those who wear dentures, denture stomatitis can be a real problem. US National Library of Medicine published the findings of a study that shows that apple cider vinegar does a great job treating this problem. The Second Opinion recommends soaking your dentures in apple cider vinegar with 4 percent maleic acid. The one caution is to be sure you rinse the dentures well, or you will be tasting the vinegar all day long.
6. Oregano oil. Another study from the US National Library of Medicine shows that oregano essential oil is great for treating Candida (yeast).Livestrong.com says to place in a glass 1 drop of oregano oil, 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 3 tablespoons water. Drink the solution. You need to gradually increase the solution to 3 drops of oregano oil. Livestrong.com does say that you will need to take the solution for two to four months to ensure that the Candida is completely gone.
7. Coconut oil. Medical News Today states that coconut oil is good for treating all forms of yeast infections. You do want to make sure you purchase 100 percent coconut oil. You can swish it in your mouth for thrush, apply it with a tampon for a vaginal infection and rub it in your skin for a skin infection.
8. Green tea. WebMD says that green tea does work, but it will take super long to see any benefits. The Health Site says to steep 5 to 6 tea bags in 1 liter of water. When the water is sufficiently cool, soak the feet for 10 minutes.
With so many natural options, treating fungal infections with a home remedy is super easy. Some of these even work better than over-the-counter options. What’s not to love?